Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Pitter patter of.....nothing (yet)

So, I had a moment of abject terror/excitement/relief this past week when I was certain I was pregnant, but it turns out I'm not. Mother Nature was messing with me a bit, it seems, b/c my monthly visitor was WAY late, and I even took two pregnancy tests due to the fact that the first one was expired, and I was sure there was no way it could still be good. Apparently, it didn't matter..the funny thing is, I was actually kinda disappointed when the second test was negative, and Smitty seemed a bit down as well..which means, yay, we're finally ready to not freak the hell out when we talk about having kids...major step for Team Smith.

So, now everybody asks if we're trying, which, if you think about it, is basically just asking, "So, are you guys gonna have sweaty, unprotected monkey sex?" (at least, that's what I envision) And the short answer is no, we're not actively trying. I'm still taking my Pill, and we're not purposely trying to be fruitful, but the long answer is that we have discussed "actively" trying toward the end of this year, which is a pretty big deal.

Emily a mommy? It still doesn't quite jibe in my head, although I do enjoy talking about myself in third person..try it, it's fun..I'm good with other people's kids, but then I get to leave them with their parents after I've plied them with sugar and bad words..kidding, I don't do the bad words, but I did let my niece have popsicles for breakfast right before my nephew was born. I thought it would be nice for her to do something special since she was a little apprehensive about sharing her parents with a brother. I relate to kids, hell, I probably relate to toddlers better than I do with people my own age. I understand they want to eat, sleep, and poop. I hear ya, if that was my full day and someone rocked me to sleep, I'd be a  happy camper.

So, we may be Mom and Dad by next summer, and Smitty will be the best disciplinarian, and I will be the best storyteller. I think we can balance each other out, but Lord knows, I hope they get Smitty's coordination and math skills. I have other things to offer, like a love of monkeys and an uncanny ability to list state capitals..these are useful things, too..

2 comments:

Smitty said...

If I ever catch you feeding our kids Popsicles for breakfast, you'll have a new meaning and understanding of the word "disciplinarian!"

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

I will feed them chocolate, popsicles and Twizzlers while you're out of town!!! hahaha