Saturday, January 30, 2010

Embarrassing things I did when I was little (Volume 1 of 50)

So, I was listening to my newly downloaded Madonna songs the other day, 
and "Dress You Up" came on, which is one of her lesser songs, but when 
you're talking about Madonna, that doesn't mean much. Anyway, I had a 
flashback to a humiliating thing I did when I was in the 5th or 6th 
grade. When certain friends and I would play at each others' houses, we 
got this idea. I actually may've gotten the idea, but I'm going to say 
it was a collective idea so I don't seem like a complete loser, but the 
idea was this: "Hey, let's record ourselves on my Fisher-Price tape 
recorder singing love songs, and then we'll call the boys we like and 
play them...and they will fall in love with us." Oy...
 
So, on more than one occasion, I recorded myself singing "Dress You Up," 
in which the lyrics are "You've got style, that's what all the girls 
say, satin sheets and luxury so fine...." I was like 10...had no idea 
why that was crucial to the song...and called boys whose names I will 
withhold to at least protect their dignity, and play my tape recorder. 
Oh, the shame. They usually either hung up, or sometimes, even more 
humiliatingly so, their moms would get on the phone and say "I don't 
know who this is, but y'all need to stop playing on the phone!" Ah, the 
days before Caller ID. The prank calls were unparalleled.
 
Aiding this little stunt was the fact that Tiger Beat had the lyrics of 
all the popular songs listed, so if we didn't know the words, or 
sometimes, didn't have the music, we would just sing that a cappela. 
Which, I'm sure was a huge treat for the listener. I also remembering 
singing Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69," which even though it includes 69 
in the title, is not really even a love song. It's more of a buddy song 
about a guy who started a band with some friends that year and is 
reminiscing about the good 'ol days. We, okay, I, was a complete moron. 
And at the time, I thought this was a really super awesome idea, no 
small wonder that I didn't kiss a boy until I was 14.  It will  never 
cease to amaze me that Smitty married me; I'm still pretty much a giant 
dork. But he knew what he was getting into.

No comments: