Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I am the entertainer of Flat Jillian

My sister sent me a text saying she needed me to help my niece Jillian with a school project. I said, "Sure, call me with the details," and here's what ensued:

Apparently, there is a book called "Flat Stanley" that was written in the '60s. While the era in which the book was published might not seem important, it will be obvious once I explain the rest of the project. Flat Stanley went to sleep one night and woke up "flat." He was flattened by a bulletin board, which I feel is probably a common occurrence among children..(maybe among "Hoarders?"). And while he's naturally freaked out at first, he then decides maybe this is not such a bad thing, as his parents start mailing him around the country in an envelope, and he has a lot of nifty adventures.

So, my niece's teacher has taught this book and now they are creating Flat ____(insert name here) and mailing them to friends or family so that they (me...here's where I come in) can let the flat replica have adventures. Once I receive Flat Jillian, I am to make up stories about her adventures, take pictures, and then send the stories and pictures and follow the accompanying instructions about what to do to fulfill the projects. When my sister told me this, I laughed for about a full minute..and then I saw the possibility.

I get to make up stories and photo captions for a 2nd grade class. This is perhaps my actual calling in life. Flat Jillian will have the adventures of a lifetime, and these kids and their teacher have no idea what they're in for, oh no...no idea. I will post pictures and the life and times of Flat Jillian as I receive my instructions and start her on her merry way..and if she knew I were doing that, I would hear, "Emily, you're embarrassing me," but, hey, that's what family's for..at least I'm not showing up at her school in my nightgown..I could do that..but I won't.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

OooOOoOoOOoooo, please tell me there's going to be a follow up blog with pictures!

Smitty said...

Flat Jillian has been keeping the kitchen table in place for the last few days. .. . . . for shame!! What a rotten host! LOL

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

I finally tool her picture in front of the aquarium; I'm a very boring person to send your flat replica for entertainment...