Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Vexed by food

I feel like food plagues my life. I have to think of what to cook, then there are dishes, there's the endless daily cycle of unloading and loading the dishwasher, food makes me gain WEIGHT, because I can't smoke like I want to, and so on and so forth. I love to cook, I really do, but when you cook for two people, there's only so many leftover meatloaves, pasta dishes, and pizzas you can eat. So, there we go, I think Smitty and I should procreate if only to make mealtime easier. Three is a better number to cook for than two, no?

I also revile the dishes. When I was living in my first apartment by myself, I'm fairly ashamed to recall my dishwashing skills. In my defense, I didn't have a dishwasher, (I realize that's not really a defense) so dishes would pile up until I would have to get creative about what to use. I can use the actual frozen pizza box as a plate, for instance, or just buy plastic cups so I don't have to wash any glasses. In sharp contrast, I am relentless about that never happening again, so now I have cat-like reflexes when it comes to dirty dishes. Oh, how I love Smitty and his usual OCD-ness, but the man will not rinse a bowl or a plate. I don't mind doing it, but if I don't know it's in there, everything coagulates on the dish, and it's way harder to rinse. This is one of maybe 4 things he does that irritate me, so I'll give him a pass, but, seriously, the dishes torment me. Funny how I don't have similar issues with a dirty car or piled up clothes or leaving my shoes everywhere. It's not something I can explain logically, it just "is."

And I find it highly unfair that you gain so much weight when you quit smoking. I feel like God should reward you by making you want to exercise when you quit rather than seeing how many slices of single cheese you can eat before you lose your vision. (I think it's 20) I mean, really...and you gain the weight EVERY damn time you quit, so if you relapse, and if you're any kind of real smoker, you will relapse, it just means by the time you actually quit, you can join the circus as the fat lady or perhaps the Single Cheese Eating Attraction. I'm sure that would be a huge draw.

No comments: