Thursday, January 14, 2010

I guess it's due to being part of the Chardonnay-sipping lefties

I don't have a rapport with service people. I don't look down at them, I 
swear, but they just don't seem to like me. I've worked more places than 
I care to admit, and I've always been secretly jealous (alright, curious) of co-workers who 
seem to have this great friendship with security guards, cleaning 
personnel, receptionists, etc...I don't get it. I'm friendly, I always say hello. I 
even try to do small talk with them, and it's like they don't even want 
to speak to me. I've heard before, until people get to know me, that I'm 
quiet, which I find highly amusing. I'm thinking that people mistake 
quiet for "snotty" or "rude." I don't mean to be.
 
It's weird, I think this is something genetic, because my sister and I 
have compared notes and had strangers say to us, "Smile. It's not that 
bad," when all we're doing is existing with our regular, y'know, 
non-smiley, non-game-show-host-faces. I always wanted to say, "My husband hits me. Do you still want me to smile?" which is 
highly inappropriate, but I feel would perhaps drive the point home that 
it's not really any of your business if I'm smiling or not. That 
statement drives me mad.
 
So, I feel as though I'm misunderstood just for not walking around 
smiling like a jackass all the time. I'm happy, I swear. It's kind of a 
smug, sarcastic happy, but it's happy, nonetheless. I guess I'm doomed 
to never be the one that knows all the gossip from the people who know 
all the gossip because they think I'm a snob. The funny thing is, if 
they were super friendly to me, I'd probably be like, "Why the heck is 
the cleaning lady talking to me?" Maybe I just answered my own conundrum.
 

No comments: