Thursday, May 03, 2012

CSI: Albertville??

I've been trying to think of productive, yet entertaining ways to pass the time until I find a job. One idea I had was amateur crime solver, like Psych or The Mentalist. I am neither psychic nor particularly observant, but I thought the plan had some merit. My first self-assigned case is trying to figure out what in God's name our upstairs neighbors are doing that requires hammering that doesn't begin until at least 10 p.m. and doesn't seem to stop until around 4 a.m. They also have a small child you can hearing running around at any given time during these hours.

My theories so far are: meth lab or small sweat shop. I figure they could be loading the kid up on sugar and having him assemble Chinese toys or clothes. And outside of Breaking Bad, my knowledge of meth is pretty limited, so I don't know if you have to build a lab, per se, but I figure if you're already taking the meth, it gives you the energy to hammer until 4 a.m. Needless to say, I miss our house and the fact that the loudest thing we contended with was our mid-life crisis neighbor and his garage band. I need a little notepad and a sidekick. I'm working on the sidekick, but I hope to solve this mystery before Smitty breaks down their door and waylays them, Commando-style.

I've noticed a trend here in Marshall County, Alabama. People have yard sales like crazy. However, their idea of a yard sale is, any and all days of the week, to put all of their crap in the yard in no discernible order and then spray paint a "Yard Sale" sign. Now, I'm no snob (ha), but to me, this seems more like a career if you try to sell all of your belongings every day. I'm familiar with weekend yard sales that are a little more organized; this is new.

Also, why is the store Dirt Cheap's mascot a chicken? If you're not familiar, it's like a Dollar General, discount-type store...but there is a chicken on their sign. Is this because chickens peck around in dirt, do chickens also enjoy bargains? Did they cross the road to get to a sale? I don't understand.

One of my favorite quotes ever that weighs on my mind while looking for a job:
"I say beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes."
Henry David Thoreau

No comments: