Wednesday, March 16, 2005

What the f@#$

Yesterday, Pakistani President General Pervez Musharraf said that Pakistani forces had been "close" to catching Osama bin Laden somewhere between eight and 10 months ago, but that the "dragnet" closed, and he got away.
Well, clearly it wasn't so much a dragnet, as a net with a hole in it.
There are so many troubling things about this, I don't know where to begin.
First of all, why are we just now finding out about this? Does this mean that US intelligence that we keep throwing money at, had no idea that this had occurred?
We can't give health care to people in this country, but in the name of homeland security, which, believe me, I wholeheartedly agree is important, we literally hemorrhage money into the budget.
If we're not using the money to a good end, what is the damn point?
And our fearless leader, upon hearing the news, said, "We're keepin' him in hidin'. He's scared, and that's cause we made him scared." Whatever.
He's still in hiding because our intelligence seems to be the security equivalent of the Keystone Cops.
Porter Goss, the newly appointed director of the CIA, recently said,"It's a massive workload. I mean, it's almost too much for one person to do."
Yeah, I feel safe now. It's reminiscent of Bush's "It's hard work" rhetoric during the debates.
No shit, it's hard work, morons. Is it so much for the American people to expect that those at the upper echalons of our national security not bitch about the workload? I don't think so.
Now, according to U.S. military forces in Afghanistan, they have a "rough idea" of where bin Laden might be hiding.
First of all, there's a novel notion, that our own forces would actually be involved in the effort. It's my understanding that we could've caught him years ago, not all that long after Sept. 11, but the U.S. used Afghan fighters that formerly had allegiances to the Taliban, and it didn't work for not-so-obvious reasons. Doh!
I'm not in the military; I've never been in the military, and unless we really do institute a draft in which they need clearly unskilled and let's face it, whiny, soldiers, I will never be in the military, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
Why the hell has a 70-something-year-old man who I thought was attached to a dialysis machine eluded the military across the board.
He simply can't be that crafty, so I'm of the mind that we are trusting the wrong people in other countries to handle this, and when we actually handle it, our intelligence is so shoddy, that we may as well use a Magic 8 Ball to see what to do.

No comments: