Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Before I begin this, I feel I should mention that coffee just literally shot out of my mouth for some reason, and I just coughed enough to the point that I probably sound like Yoda now. But, I digress.
It's funny that I used that as the title to today's post, because until about a year or so ago, I was adamantly against watching anything having to do with "Monty Python." It had been my experience that annoying boys tended to quote the same passages from the various movies over and over to the point that I assumed only really nerdy men could find it amusing, and therefore, it wasn't worth my time. Nothing is sadder than listening to a guy doing a John Cleese impression while simultaneously playing Magic:The Gathering, and it has happened in my presence more often than I care to count.
Then, I watched "Monty Python and the Meaning of Life," and "The Galaxy Song" was just brilliant.
I'm getting ahead of myself, though.
Yesterday, in the midst of a particularly stressful afternoon, I asked a friend, "Do you ever feel like life is just a series of frustrating incidents"?
And he said, "Sometimes, but that kind of thinking is not really productive, so I tend not to dwell on it."
And I thought, "Wow; that sounds easy. Why can't I do that"?
As things presently stand, I have about two weeks to find an apartment, the reasons for the rush I'll not get into, I desperately need to find a job that raises me above the poverty line (the City of Brotherly Love is nice, but it ain't cheap), and I need to replace this aimless feeling of merely drawing a paltry paycheck and simply existing in my apartment with a feeling of at least mild stability and accomplishment.
I moved here knowing that things would be uncertain, and that has been the best part, in retrospect.
I came to a new city, a new area of the country, started a new job in a new field and experienced more amazing things than I can count.
But that job ended over four months ago, and what I did not plan on when I decided to plant myself "up north" for a bit, was feeling like a nomad and living literally paycheck to paycheck to continue this experience.
It's true that I tend to put a fair amount of pressure on myself, but that pressure is what finally got me out of a career situation that was making me miserable to this angry northern city full of traffic, and I've honestly never been happier.
That being said, I'm ready for something to change.
I'm doing my part, going on interviews, looking at apartments; I'm not merely letting life happen to me, but the point of "The Galaxy Song" is fairly simple.
There's very little you have control over in the grand scheme of the universe, and the best you can hope for is a small sliver of salvation.
The last line: "So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth,
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

No comments: