Thursday, March 31, 2005

And the ADD continues..

Okay, because I'm still tired (damn Pinot Noir and all its grapey goodness), this post will also feature more than one topic, so, be advised.
1. A New York company recently conducted a study about how people react when their computers crash. Yeah, a valuable use of money, I know, but their findings and the subsequent article at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7329279/ are kind of funny. It seems that "more people commit some act of computer violence than call for help when faced with a crisis."
Is this what we've been reduced to? Don't get me wrong; I've yelled and gotten really angry with a computer before. I have a not-so-fond memory of almost losing about 15 pages of my undergraduate thesis and cursing the man who invented the computer simultaneously, but I find it very telling that there are actually studies being done to gauge this behavior.
2. Working for a temp agency sucks. I can't complain about some things because I do have a regular assignment, so I'm not at a different office every week, but people just don't treat temps very well. My supervisor was showing a new employee around this morning and before she introduced him to me, I heard her say, "Oh, our receptionist is up here; I'll introduce you, but she's with the temp agency."
What the deuce? That makes me sound like something's wrong with me. Like, "you don't really need to worry about her, because she's kind of like a second-class citizen."
And because if you work for a temp agency, people assume you can't get a job anywhere else and therefore must be stupid, they talk to you like you're stupid.
I've actually had people explain stuffing envelopes to me..Um..yeah..I have a college degree and a 150 IQ, I think I got it..the paper goes IN the envelope..genius!
3. I am homesick. I haven't seen any of my family or Mississippi friends since December, and I know that's not a particularly long time, but, what can I say, I miss them and the familiarity of home. Every time I talk to my 3-year-old niece on the phone, my heart breaks just a little because I don't get to see her growing up and all the new things she's up to. She's potty training and wearing "big girl panties," and it seems like before I know it, she'll be grown up, and I won't have seen it happen.
I chose to do what I'm doing now, and I love it, and I've met some really awesome people here, too, thank God, because they keep me sane, but I miss Sunday dinners with my parents and grandmother and sleeping in my childhood room when I visit and going out with my friends and being the "cruise director" for the weekend plans. *sigh* I'm okay; I'm excited about my life right now, just in my quieter moments, I get sad.
4. I was listening to an old tape this morning, yes, I do not have a CD player in my car; therefore, I have a huge box of cassette tapes that are about to fall apart. Anyway, it was a "mix tape" (do teenagers today even know what that is?) of Jane's Addiction and Nine Inch Nails, and I was immediately transported to feeling like I was in high school. Isn't it weird how music can do that? I can hear a song, and in my mind, I'm in high school again, wearing flannel shirts, swimming in creeks and acting like a general moron in the name of being "grungy/hippy-ish." But, geez, was I having fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

grungy and hippy-ish? you? huh!

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

??who dat?

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

I assume it's you, Phillips, and you're trying to be funny..I know it's real hard for you to believe I was hippy-ish.