Tuesday, February 22, 2005

I'm not a girl, not yet a woman

You know things are pretty serious when I'm quoting Britney Spears. I can usually only manage to bring out her immortal words when a situation has reached its critical mass.
I'm also reminded of the "Seinfeld" episode in which Jerry and George are in the coffee shop, complaining about women again and Jerry tells George, "This is no way to live. What are we doing here? We're not men. We gotta make some changes."
I feel like I am in an extremely odd transition period in life. I'm 27, well past college, and I am stuck in some sort of maturity limbo.
I work full-time, pay my bills and otherwise function as a successful adult, but I also have a job with no health insurance, I have no savings account, and I discovered this weekend that I didn't even know how to make scrambled eggs.
Now, this might sound rather alarmist, and you might be right, but it is something that I think about from time to time.
Is there an epiphany when you suddenly achieve adulthood, when you just know that you shouldn't eat spicy food before bed or have caffeine after 7 p.m?
I think this is a generational thing, honestly. The majority of my contemporaries are in the same boat as me, except for maybe the health insurance thing. (Don't tell anyone, but I blame John Kerry for that)
I think because it's less common for people to get married and "settle down" at 23 or 24, everyone is waiting and trying to establish themselves in some way. The settling down is hardly even a consideration, and I'm no different.
I'll be a potential sell-out to my generation and say that I want those things desperately. I want to be married and have children, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I don't feel that it makes me a less driven person, because I want to establish myself first as well. I'm in no hurry to do those things.
But, it would be nice to know, that in five or six years, I don't have to wade through the frappe of torture that is dating.
If I'm this cranky at 27, I can only imagine what a dating delight I'll be at 33, when the selection of decent, available men has dwindled that much more.
In the meantime, I can make a mean pan of scrambled eggs, and I'm working diligently on the health insurance.

No comments: