Friday, February 18, 2005

Further proof that I'm not, how they say, "cool"

Yesterday, as I was driving home in the gridlock insanity that is Pennsylvania traffic, I began to sing along to the radio. This is not unusual; I do that all the time, much to the amusement of other drivers quite a bit of the time, but, suddenly, as if snapping out of a stupor, I realized what I was belting out, and I cringed, but was grateful that I was alone.
I was singing "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston so loud, that even with my windows up, people walking by on the street could probably hear me. I laughed at myself, as I often do, and kept right on singing.
Now, there's nothing wrong with my radio, and radio stations in Philadelphia are quite good. I'm sure I could've found some Beatles or U2 or almost anything else that wouldn't make me ashamed to show my face, but I realized that I always sing that song at the top of my lungs when it's on the radio; it's just what I do.
So, I started to think about other nerdy, or what I prefer to call "guilty pleasure" behavior that I engage in on a regular basis, and, wow, the list ain't pretty.
That is not the only song that I warble as loudly as possible. There is also "Candle in the Wind" by Elton John, "More Than Words" by Extreme, "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns and Roses, "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon and anything by Madonna. Granted, there are more, but those are probably the most indicting.
I had been giving my secret behavior a lot of thought, and this morning, as I was getting ready for work and watching the end of "The Golden Girls," it struck me. Clearly, this is not limited to music. I watch and love "The Golden Girls" on a regular basis. Yes, Brian, go ahead, I know you'll love that.
So, the shows that I watch that I might not (until now, obviously) want the general public to know about are, the aforementioned "Golden Girls," "Saved by the Bell" (only when I'm getting ready in the morning, but I even watch the college years version, so there's really no excuse), "The Cosby Show" (Bill Cosby and his sexual harassing, pudding loving ass are still hilarious on that show) and "American Gladiators." Oh, the shame...
I figured if I am to ever overcome this heinous affliction, I should share it with others. Admission is the first step to recovery.
I should also mention that these are not the only instances of my crimes against pop culture, but I will save some of the others for another day.
I will leave you all with some words from "The Golden Girls" theme song, "Thank you for being a friend, traveled down the road and back again. Your heart is true; you're a pal and a confidante."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

the only thing funnier than you singing to whitney houston is the vision of you getting ready for work watching the golden girls on the 13" tv...

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

I'm pretty sure it's "pal." I hope the studying is going well..I have been thinking of you..

Anonymous said...

I KNOW that it is pal! Queenie must not watch it as much as we do, MSDemocrat...And she certainly must not sing the theme song at the start! LOL

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Oh, yeah, that was one more thing I could've added to my morbidly uncool list, singing the theme songs to lame shows..I also know "The Nanny" song by heart, but I absolutely HATE that show..seriously..I'm not just saying that..

Anonymous said...

EVERYONE knows you are just saying that.....you idolize Fran Drescher....just kidding...love ya...