Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Happy birthday, Jilly Fox

My amazing, beautiful and brilliant niece Jillian turns three years old today. I can't believe she is already that old, not that it's old, but it literally seems like yesterday that she was born.
I've been a little sad the last few days because I couldn't be there for her birthday, and I don't want to miss out on any of the big things in her life, but that will not always be the case, so I'm trying not to feel too guilty. I got to talk to her on the phone over the weekend, as my parents threw her a party, and I got to hear about the Strawberry Shortcake cake, and how much she liked the Dora blocks I gave her, and I will talk to her tonight after she goes to Chuck E. Cheese. Well, I'll talk to her after she calms down from going to Chuck E. Cheese. Whether I will actually understand anything she says in her lactose-induced fever is another story.
I don't know when it happened, but I absolutely fell in love with children sometime in the last five years.
When I was in high school and even college, I could be frequently caught saying, "No, no, I don't really want to have kids. I don't really like kids."
My, how our biological clocks can change our minds.
Now, when I see any form of a cute little kid, I am reduced to one of "those" people who makes little sense and is purely focused on making said kid laugh and want to hug me.
And every time, there's this little noise or shift inside me that is most definitely my uterus literally aching.
I am in no hurry to have children, however, I want to make that clear should certain people read this and run for the hills.
I am 27 years old, and I have plenty of time, but it's nice to know that I have that want inside me.
So, back to my original sentiment. Happy third birthday, Jillian. I love you and wish I could be there to play whack-a-mole with you at Chuck E. Cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If Jillian could read this, she would say,"I wish you could be here too, Emmie, but don't feel guilty. I know you will be there for other things in my life. And, by the way, you are my favorite aunt!"

I will print this and put it in her scrapbook for her to read when she gets older.

We love you!