Tuesday, March 20, 2012

The life of a rural housewife

I'm driving myself crazy. I have all this free time now until I have surgery in April, and I am so over myself. I've started to think bizarre things like:

1. Our neighbors are really annoying. They make a lot of noise and stay up all hours of the night, which leads me to believe they are either in abusive relationships or are making meth. It's probably neither, but they are driving me crazy.

2. When I'm done taking a shower, I have to turn on the super cold water to "refresh" my feet. Does everyone do that, or am I a freak?

3. You can only do so much with ground beef. I'm quickly running out of original dinner ideas, but it's the most I accomplish all day.

Did you know at any given time of the day, you can watch "Law and Order" and "Kitchen Nightmares?" They are on 24 hours a day. I watched an episode of "Law and Order" for the first time, and I don't get the appeal. I do like the little "ching ching" noise, though.

I'm going to use this time, starting tomorrow, to teach myself how to knit. That may end in cursing and drinking, but I'm gonna give it a try. Maybe I can open a craft booth in Boaz. I'm trying to adjust to small-town life again..I dunno how I'm faring. I don't really want to know or speak to my neighbors (also, they are are trashy), I don't know anything about guns or farming, and I feel like a huge snob every time I even try to have a conversation with anybody. Sigh....

Any more suggestions as to what I can do are welcome..I would like to avoid the padded room and jacket that ties in the front....

"Someone's boring me. I think it's me."
--Dylan Thomas

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My time at home has led to brewing beer (awesome), severe social anxiety (less awesome), writing fiction (awesome) and meeting some great writers (more awesome) and will eventually force me to go back to school (awesome/expensive). Point is, it's a mixed bag. You will have to interact socially, though you don't have to do it with your trashy neighbors. It is shocking how much fulfillment you've been getting from your co-workers. My words of advice: don't wait until you start acting desperate around the grocery store employees; take up the hobbies now.

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Heheh...thanks...I think I'm going to try knitting and at least finishing one of the 5 short stories I've started...