Thursday, November 17, 2011

I am a screaminger, and I love it!

So, I saw this skit the other night on "Saturday Night Live," which nearly perfectly describes me. One of the characters had lost out on a promotion, and her co-workers were taking her out to cheer her up. She stayed behind a little while to blast Adele's "Someone Like You," and wallow in self-pity for a little while. One by one as they came to find her, they wanted in on the crying action to relieve their individual stresses.

I did that frequently in high school. I had some old stand-by's, Jane's Addiction, "I Would for You," Nine Inch Nails, "Something I Can Never Have," and Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle," to name a few. I would be very sad and deep and write horrendous poetry in my journal until I felt I had suffered enough. Dramatic? Me? Noooo

Now, I am addicted to songs that I can really "sing scream" to...like Concrete Blonde's "Joey," (which is probably Smitty's least favorite song because of this),  Pat Benatar's "Hit Me with Your Best Shot," and now my new favorite, Adele's "Someone Like You."  And I'm sad because she had surgery for a throat polyp, which threatens her luminous voice. I feel sure she'll pull through. We big girls are tough. That was Amy Winehouse's problem..she needed to eat a cheeseburger, oh, and not smoke crack.

You know what I don't like, though? Incessant Christmas music. I feel angry when it takes over a radio station the week before Halloween. That's like a full 60 days of Christmas music. I like Christmas music, like the classics, like Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole, even Elvis, but some of the tripe they're playing is making Christmas music sad...and baby Jesus is crying.

Also, where did they holidays come from? Has this not been the fastest year ever? It's crazy.  I'm looking forward to just relaxing family time..or is that an oxymoron? We'll give it a try...optimism...glass half-full...we can do it. (the royal we---me) I still feel an ache for my dad during the holidays, and I know that won't go away, but he would be really mad if it cast a pall every year. So, I won't let it. There are new memories to be made, and I have in-laws that welcomed me with open arms, so I'm blessed with two familes.

No progress yet on the knitting; I think this may be a Christmas wish, as everything is crazy loco nuts right now. Smitty fractured his arm moving some stuff, so he is only partially functional. I like to think my clumsiness rubbed off, but if something had to rub off, I wish it could've been something else, like the singing for no reason. I'd enjoy that. But I'm being "nurse-y" as best I can; that's not so much an innate quality I have. I make him take his pain pill if it hurts, although I have also been calling him "gimp," which is probably not as helpful.

You know what makes me happy? Baby carrots and balsamic vinaigrette...my goodness, it's a little sliver of heaven in your mouth.

No comments: