Sunday, January 09, 2011

Snowpallooza '11

I love snow; I don't care if it causes my place of business to close, I just love snow and winter weather. This is one of the main aspects of Philadelphia I loved. There was actual winter. Yes, you would freeze your ass off, but you would know, by God, that winter had come and gone. I dug my car out in Philly about 7 times in the one winter I was there, that I think was actually a mild winter. My favorite memory of that winter was walking to the bars with my friend and eventual roommate Rachel, meeting up with some folks, and watching her snowboard down the main street of Conshohocken (I cannot remember the street name) looking like a badass. Then, we hot-tubbed in the snow, which is utterly awesome. It's freezing outside, but you're in this awesome hot tub that you don't want to leave. Ahhhh.

To me, snow brings out the child-like delight in all of us. Even if we have to go to work if it snows, we love to see an actual blanket of snow. Maybe this is South-restricted. I know the first time it snowed when I lived in Philly, they projected about 6 inches. If they projected 6 inches of snow in the South, everything would be closed for 3 days. In Philly, when that was projected, I said, "Ooh, a snow day, " and was laughed at and patted on the head like a little kid. They don't close anything unless it's a freaking blizzard...hence, digging my car out on numerous occasions to go to work...booo

All day, I've been having bizarre hot flashes due to probably being off Cymbalta and then back on it, plus I have fever from something. It's sad, but I generally assume on any given day that my nose is completely stopped up and that I have a little bit of fever..That's how I roll.

I've been walking around outside periodically in Uggs and shorts so I can cool off; I hope by the time I go through menopause, they can discover a way to curb hot flashes, because I cannot deal with them. I will have to sleep in the freezer. I digress....

I tried to envision a '10 blog. It didn't quite happen. 2010 is the year my father died, and I had to learn how to exist in a universe without him, I got to spend time with some of his dearest friends, which I enjoyed so much, I learned that you can't live in denial about some people, no matter how much you're pressured, and how my family, Team Smittily, me and Smitty, is the most important thing to me in the world.

I don't make New Year's resolutions because I find them to be trite and a little bullshit-ty, but in the following year, I would like to become more healthy (this does not include deleting wine from my diet), learn how to deal with toxic situations in a more productive manner, and write, write, write. I need to get published or be somewhere that people can see that I'm Tina Fey + David Sedaris. Can you imagine if they had a surrogate child?

As snow and ice accumulate everywhere around us, I sincerely hope that we don't lose power, because I kid you not, Smitty and I will either kill each other or resort to behavior that will end up on the news. Because as romantic as lost power and such would seem, as a married couple, you can occupy like an hour of a power outage with naked shenanigans, and then you're just freezing and bored, and when the other one starts to breathe on you, you want to punch them...and pray for power and cable..

I leave you with our song, "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol:

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where

Confused about how as well
Just know that these things will never change for us at all

If I lay here

If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?


No comments: