Wednesday, September 07, 2005

An amalgamation of evanescent grandiloquence

As you may be able to tell, I'm deep within the confines of studying for the vocabulary portion of the GRE, and I've come to a few conclusions:
1. I am perhaps not as smart as I thought I was..shocking, yes, I know, but I believe it to be true. I can't decide if it's part of the gradual dumbing-down I feel I've been going through since leaving college, or if it's part of the ego deflations I have seemed to encounter lo these last months. Well, the latter is actually not an excuse as to why I'm dumb(er), it's merely an offering as to why I can accept it now.
As a sub-topic of being dumb, I think I may have been misusing a great many words for the last few years, which is somewhat more distressing. We snotty literary types have all had a giggle at those plebians who use the wrong words from time to time. Personal favorites are "supposably," "revert/refer back to," and "for all intensive purposes," and now I discover that those snottier than I may've been lording it over me that I thought "austere" meant strong, or "truculent" meant lazy. I won't even get into what I thought "alacrity" meant. It's better left unsaid.
So, naturally, the first night that I began my studies, which I thought would be a breeze, I got frustrated and wrote at the top of my page, "I'm too stupid to be accepted to graduate school," which I personally felt was a normal reaction.
However, after thinking about it, I guess it's conceivable that I'm just going to have to study that much harder instead of giving up immediately. Geez..exhibit follow-through? I guess it's worth a try.
On a different topic, after being in a super-cranky mood for the last week or so..(I plead hormones), it looks like perhaps I am snapping out of it, which is encouraging. Do you ever just plunge into a mood so foul that you cannot imagine not experiencing it? That's what we're talking here. I'm not even certain that I fully appreciated my 3-day weekend because of it, but I will damn sure appreciate my 4-day work week now that the fog has lifted.
I get like that sometimes, and, sure there are reasons why I was ill-tempered, but it seems as though my reaction may have been a little strong. I have mentioned at various points in this blog that my coping skills are not so hot, and they really aren't, but I think they're getting somewhat better. At least I recognize that I'm doing it now.
At least with this last hormonal/homicidal episode, I was just cranky, rather than crying at every sappy commercial I saw on television, which I have been known to do in times of despair. No, no, this was more of a focused, I-want-to-maim-everyone-I-see kind of a thing, which is by no means better, but at least takes less of an emotional toll on me. And, really, it's all about me..
I also rediscovered my David Gray "White Ladder" album yesterday and can't believe I had forgotten how awesome it is.
I will leave you with a line from my favorite song, "Hello, Goodbye"
"I put up with all the scenes. This is one scene that's going to be played my way."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David gray is coming to philly
enjoy!

Anonymous said...

You're right. You're not as smart as you thought you were. It wasn't that Miss. dumbed you down it was that there weren't enough intelligent people around you to compare yourself. Take heart in knowing that there is someone always a lot smarter and a lot "dumber" than each of us. The more people you meet...the more you fall in the middle.