Friday, July 15, 2005

Getting old and all of that other stuff

I haven't written on here in so long, I feel really badly, but I'm sure you've all managed to continue living your lives, breathing in and out and that sort of thing, even without my blog as incomprehensible as it is to me that people can really go all that long without a "dose of Emily," but, anyway. (and I am totally kidding. I would probably be a really happy person if I was that full of myself)
First things first: Sandra Day O'Connor is retiring from the Supreme Court, and it's very unsettling. When they announced on NPR, I was listening to headphones at work and said (very loudly), "Oh, shit," loudly enough that people around me were concerned.
I've been thinking about what it might mean quite a bit, and I am actually going to give Bush the benefit of the doubt until I have reason not to on this. He can't really gain all that much by stacking the court with right wingers, and as much as we Chardonnay-sipping (NPR-listening, for that matter) wailed about what Bush might do the court if given the opportunity, I actually am choosing to think that he might not want his legacy to have the country in a complete and total uproar over Roe Vs.Wade. We'll see.
Okay, next. I AM GETTING OLD. This is not so much distressing in and of itself, but I simply cannot do the things to my body that I used to. i.e., continuously get only about 5 hours of sleep a night during the week, drag myself up at 6:30 a.m. and just say, "Oh, well, I'll make it up by sleeping late this weekend." NO. No more. I had my first bags under my eyes the other day, and that is just not going to happen. I already have to contend with gray hair, laugh lines and that "Ugh" noise when I bend down to pick something up. Bags under my eyes will not stand.
What else? I've decided, after much reflection and meditation (perhaps the meditation involved cocktails), that stressing out about things is absolutely pointless.
Refer to a previous post of mine that I worry too much. I worry or have worried so much, in fact, that I can't be still. I am working on this, but due to my anxious nature, I shake my leg constantly, play with my hair, bite the inside of my mouth and clench my jaw to the point of giving myself headaches..and I don't even think that's it, but even people who know me really well at this point are like, "What?!"
So, I just say, fuck it. Recent personal issues made me realize that no amount of crying or not eating or listening to Kenny G was going to change any stressful situation, so "fuck it" is indeed my new attitude.
If things are meant to work out, they'll work out, and I'm tired of not enjoying the good moments in life by worrying about what's going to happen in a month, or six months or six years. It's no way to enjoy life, and I want to enjoy my life, however it may turn out.
And on that note, I will leave you with this. I have a flyer in my possession right now that directs me where to go to view midget wrestling at the end of the month.
Where am I gonna be on said night at the end of the month? Drinking beer and screaming for people that come up to my knees to pummel each other. Life is good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Midget wrestling? Take pictures and post them, please.

The Dude