Monday, April 11, 2005

Things that annoy me

Yes, it's true this post might not have some of the positivity of previous posts, but it's Monday, I left my apartment without drying my hair this morning, and I've had a headache since yesterday, so if you want to be uplifted, you should probably skip the blog today.
While most of the time I have decided to focus on what's good in the world, let's face it. I'm a pretty impatient person who is easily annoyed. I used to think that it was a terrible way to be, that I should try not to let little things get to me, etc..., and I don't react to them as badly as I used to, but I simply cannot help my high levels of annoyance.
There's really no explanation for it, other than for the most part, I come from a long line of grumpy people.
So, here we go..
1. Morning radio shows. I don't think there's anything more irritating in the morning than a group of two or three people on radio stations who have been chosen for some inexplicable reason by that station to greet morning commuters and give their oh, so intelligent and informed opinions on the day's events.
They are pretty much all people who have "faces made for radio," and somehow this little vocation that requires little to no skill has afforded them the idea that they are really, really cool. I think radio stations should just, I dunno, play music..what a novel idea.
2. Working in an office. I realize this is one of those annoyances I'm going to have to get over or just accept, and basically, I have, but I hate all of the little "Office Space"-isms of working in a place that has cubicles. My current supervisor at this temp job absolutely REFUSES to answer any calls transferred to her.
I know that people think I'm a huge liar everytime I have to say, "Oh, she's on the phone, or she's out of the office, would you like to leave her a voicemail?" Not only does she refuse to answer her phone, she refuses to meet with anyone who comes into the office for any reason. The security company wants to touch base? No, she's too busy, etc...
Which makes me wonder, what in God's name is she doing? She pawns off virtually all the work she can onto me, she's not answering calls, so what exactly is there to be so busy about?
Oh, yeah, I hate female superiors..sue me, Gloria Steinem. You work for a bitchy woman in her 40s or 50s, then get back to me about how great women are.
3. Money. I hate what it does to people, because, clearly, you can't live without it. I hate the fact that I'm terrified about potentially not having a job, obviously most principally because of money. I just signed a year lease, and I'm in no position to live a life of leisure. And I want to smack people who can and do completely squander large amounts of money while having no comprehension about how real people live.
I worked for a man, who was a millionaire, perhaps billionaire, but I doubt it. Anyway, this man had never had a real job that wasn't part of his "legacy" a day in his life, never wanted for anything, and he paid his employees so small a salary that most people had second jobs, and these were people with college degrees.
He refused to give cost of living raises, saying that they weren't necessary. Well, to someone who has no idea what the cost of living actually is, that makes perfect sense, I suppose.
I wish we could go back to a bartering system and then really see who's useful to society and who's not.
4. In no particular order: The price of gas, people who talk too loudly or too softly, gaining weight, religious television channels, being lonely, men who are sleazy, people who say "dude" way too much, people in politics who lie, poorly written books that are on bestseller lists, PARIS friggin' HILTON, being lied to, people who have not the slightest sense of irony or sarcasm, the Michael Jackson trial, insecurity, and metrosexuals.

No comments: