Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Road warriors and good times

Nothing quite creates a feeling of camaraderie like a good road trip. It's typically something you do in college, but there's nothing to say you can't pick up and go anywhere with close friends well into your 40s. I certainly hope to still be doing that, maybe as an homage to "Thelma and Louise," excepting that whole over the cliff part at the end, oh, and committing murder. But, you get my point.
To date, my favorite road trip partner is by far one Amanda Meadows. She and I have been to New Orleans twice, Memphis at least twice, one of those trips spanning Memphis, Nashville and Lynchburg (to tour the Jack Daniels distillery) as well as a brief sojourn in Bucksnort, Tenn., and briefly touring the Ave Maria Grotto in Cullman, Ala.
We actually went about an hour out of our way to stop in Bucksnort because when you're looking at a map, a name like that kinda jumps out and begs to be seen. What Bucksnort actually consisted of, was a sign and a couple of gravel roads, but we have pictures, and I have a commemorative rubber keychain, so it was totally worth it.
And the reason the Ave Maria Grotto tour was so brief, was that we arrived about 10 min. before they closed and had to do some fast talking to even be let in. Then, Amanda proceeded to curse over something, and we had a spasm of laughter over my telling her, "I don't think profanity is allowed in the grotto." We still laugh about that.
And, oh, was there singing on these road trips..and flashing..on the way to New Orleans. Not to out anyone, but it wasn't me doing the flashing..
The singing, which I clearly take too seriously, had maybe hit a new silly high/low (?) when Elton John's "Candle in the Wind" came on the radio, and I cleared my throat in order to sing it properly without even realizing it, and Amanda ridiculed me for the rest of the trip.
Perhaps the greatest purchases from the Tennessee trip, other than the Taking Care of Business sunglasses she bought at the Graceland gift shop were two lighters we bought at this hole-in-the-wall gas station.
Amanda's was a small, metallic leg (awesome), but mine was truly the best. It was a white, headless woman wearing a polka-dot bikini. When you depressed the button to light it, her nipples and crotch started blinking. I named her Tammy, and when the part of her leg that made her blink fell off, it was a really sad day for me. I still can't really talk about it without getting misty.
She was quite popular when I returned to Mississippi, dancing on the table to karaoke, she made the rounds in the bar until I had to retrieve her for fear someone would run away with her. But, I digress..
There was another trip to Memphis with Amanda and me, where we were driving through Oxford, Miss., and I swear to God, we saw a road sign that said "Cats crossing" with little pictures of cats crossing the road.
Yet another trip, just to Oxford, was to visit another friend who was staying with some fraternity brothers. I think it was Homecoming weekend at the University of Mississippi. There was this awesome '80s band playing, and they started to play Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl," which may be the greatest song ever created.
With a little help from my friend alcohol and a little too much excitement directed toward the beginning strains of "Jesse is a friend...I know he's been a good friend of mine..," I slid down a muddy hill in front of about 200 people, and the sad part is, I didn't even care. I jumped up, covered in filth, and kept right on singing, while Amanda convulsed in laughter with my other friends who had witnessed this display.
And then, there was the shopping cart incident. Amanda, you knew I had to bring it up. Okay, we're in New Orleans at this awesome bar called Madigan's, I think, at our first Mardi Gras. We are having so much fun, it shouldn't even be legal, and we go outside to get some fresh air.
There just happens to be a grocery store across the street, replete with shopping carts. Well, in our infinite wisdom, Amanda says, "Let me push you! Get in!" Um..yeah, she pushed the shopping cart faster than it was ever meant to go, hit a pothole and I literally flew out, drink in hand and flying everywhere along with me, and landed on my ass. OY
People came out of nowhere.."Are you okay? That looked horrible. Let us buy you a drink.." So, all in all, not a terrible thing..although I had a bruise the size of Brazil on my ass the next day and a little trouble walking.
And, yes, I did end up getting her back in a very public way, but since it's not about a road trip, it's not relevant here..heheh.
Anyway, as long as Journey and Hall and Oates are played on the radio, Amanda and I will have the best road trips ever.
*sigh* Good times.
Love you, bubeleh.

No comments: