Friday, April 01, 2005

Optimistic beginnings

Well, now that I am fully moved into my new apartment in an awesome new neighborhood, I can set about the business of feeling like I'm finally at home.
For the past nine months, since I moved to Philadelphia, my life has been a series of transitions.
First, I moved almost 1,000 miles away from home, knowing no one once I reached my destination. Secondly, I started a job that was nothing like anything I've ever done before. And thirdly, I was living in a room in a house with people more than twice my age that was strange beyond explanation.
Within the span of three months, my job ended, so I had to find a new job and adjust to that and within another four months, it became painfully clear that I needed to find a new apartment.
The job search is still a little transitional because I'm doing temp work that degrades me on a daily basis, but I do have two very promising prospects, so with any luck, that will be resolved within the month. So, now what?
I am actually in a pretty amazing space in my life at the moment. I feel like I've finally begun what I wanted to do when I left my life in Mississippi. I wanted to feel like I was working toward something, establish myself in a new city and genuinely begin a life of which I could be proud.
I'm not there yet, but contrary to how hard I've been on myself for the last few months, I'm making pretty good strides.
I'm now looking forward to walking the funky cobblestone streets of Manayunk, familiarizing myself with my new neighborhood that has so much to offer for people in my stage in life.
I have this vision of myself meandering the streets with a cup of coffee in my hand, discovering and remembering why I chose to stay in this amazing city of Philadelphia after John Kerry failed to wrestle the presidency away from one George W. Bush.
In no more than two months' time, I want to know where a good place to work out is, where to buy a good bottle of wine and which part of the city catches the best view of the sunset.
As I was unpacking, I found a column that my grandfather had written about a variety of things, but most prominently, as was often the case, he had written about our county. He was one of those people who could convey his love and absolute appreciation for a place so eloquently that the reader felt like they were seeing what he saw.
It made me a little sad, thinking of how much I missed him, but it also made me happy remembering what a truly great person he was, and I made a vow to try to follow in his footsteps.
I've always wanted to follow his example and be someone that people could admire, but the way he inspired others is a tall order to fill, and I realized that all he would want me to do is be happy, and a person truly satisfied with themselves and their choices will, in turn, be an inspiration to those around them.
So, I'm going to live my life the best way I can and make myself happy and embrace each new challenge with a feeling of hope and the promise of things to come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

knowing where to buy a good bottle of wine and knowing how to select one are 2 very different things. the image you paint of walking around the yunk with the coffee is oh so fitting. i'm sure you will blend nicely with the other vanilla mocha white chocolate irish cream hazelnut coffee lovers of the community. ; )

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Are you suggesting that I don't know how to select a good bottle of wine?
And leave me alone about the vanilla mocha white chocolate coffee. We can't all have your tough constitution and eschew flavor for our coffee. ;P

Anonymous said...

Ok, I cannot HELP but say this Em, forgive me please....but the thought of you selecting wine conjures up memories of a certain night a couple of years ago, when you 'selected' a certain cardboard configuration filled with a spigotted bag of...what was it...a certain blush they call Venezia? And who knew you would be so lucky as to get a 2 for 1 special that evening? I still love you, my favorite galpal....Ellen:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I should have done a little more research before my fist comment.....It's Franzia....Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject...Ellen:)

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Yeah, yeah, I know I've been known to buy "wine in a box" from time to time, and I don't claim to be a wine expert, by any means. I stand by the fact that boxed wine is not that bad, but it's also not especially swanky, in terms of wine.
I'm trying to turn over a new cultural leaf and therefore have no wine and cardboard contraption in my refrigerator.
But that was pretty sweet that the guy gave me a free box, you gotta admit that.