Thursday, March 17, 2005

Fallen idols

On my drive into work today, I heard a morning radio show do yet another Michael Jackson parody based on the fact that his court case is causing him financial hardship, and the DJs were imagining him getting a job at Jack in the Box. haha get it?
First of all, that's stupid, not funny, but it occurred to me how it's just become commonplace for anyone who's in the media to ridicule Jackson, and no one thinks anything about it. And I'm not arguing whether that's right or wrong, I just think it's quite something, that a man who could've written his own media ticket 20 years ago, is simply the butt of all humor, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
What the hell happened to him is what I want to know. Maybe it's because I was young when he was at his most famous, but I just don't remember him being so friggin' weird.
He still looked like a man, not some bleached fish, and he kicked ass as a musician. I think he's been given latitude until recently because he was such a force to be reckoned with in the '80s, and people didn't want to let that image go, but it's gone, and it does not appear to be coming back soon.
This brings me to a way more disturbing set of scandals that involve Bill Cosby.
Say it ain't so and just hawk some Jello.
Cosby has been accused by at least two women in the past month of groping them and displaying "inappropriate" sexual behavior toward them. And this is not the first time he's been accused of it; these are just the most recent charges.
What makes this even more ironic is that he's recently drawn some attention over speaking out against the state of the black community, urging parents to set better examples for their children, citing that as the main reason things are the way they are.
Meanwhile, where there's smoke, there's fire. I don't know that it sets all that great an example when a man that millions look up to is involved in so many sex scandals.
I, for one, am disappointed. I love Bill Cosby, or I did. I can remember watching his stand-up when I was younger, because he was one of the few comedians I was actually allowed to watch.
There was very little bad language, and it was, and still is, hilarious.
The Cosby Show was an awesome show that really changed the face of television, and I still watch it occasionally on Nick at Nite (yea, I'm a dork), so it makes it that much sadder when someone like Bill Cosby falls off that pedestal on which we placed him.
I guess it goes to show that you should never really put anyone up there.

No comments: