Friday, February 25, 2005

Trying to follow my brilliant advice

I find it ironic that yesterday's post was about how well-adjusted and good at coping I am, when the day ended with me questioning everything about myself with a little crying thrown in for good measure.
I like to think it was God's way of saying, "Whoa; you're getting a little full of yourself, Gaither. See if you can handle this."
Not that I view God as a vengeful being, but he takes us down a peg from time to time when we need it, and that's cool.
Okay, why was I crying, you ask. Last week, I had a job interview that I thought went really well. Not only did I think it went really well, I even tried to tell myself that since it was a job that I wasn't all that gung ho about, it wouldn't matter if I didn't get it.
Wow, was I way off the mark.
I received a rejection letter in the mail, after having about four other things put me in a "Guns of the Navarone, TNT-mood," and I promptly fell apart.
I began to think, "Why would they hire me? I'm qualified to do nothing, (not true in the light of day), I must've screwed up my interview, I didn't sound smart enough (impossible)..and on and on and on.."
That whole positive thinking thing didn't really come into play until this morning after I had allowed myself to absolutely wallow in self-pity, self-doubt and disappointment.
Applying for jobs is almost like dating and relationships. You think something looks really good, even though you might not be 100% crazy about it and it has flaws, so you justify that it's a good idea for you at the time.
Then, you start to imagine yourself in the situation, and it doesn't seem so bad. So by the time you've been rejected for something you weren't even sure you wanted, you've already accepted that it's the right thing for you at the time.
Then, you have to start all over.
I'm refusing to let myself be daunted by this. I had my time to be down about it yesterday, and today, my resume will be flying all around the Internet with my eternal hope that's decidedly looking a little worn attached to it.
It is my little dream that when aforementioned company that rejected me comes to their senses, they will call, and I will have the massive satisfaction of saying, "Oh, I'm sorry, I have a really good job. You should've hired me in the first place."
Give me a break, I can still be angry. But I won't pee in their shampoo.

No comments: