Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Time marches on...across my face

Okay, I'm 27 years old, and I have gray hair and laugh lines. The laugh lines I don't mind so much, because I tell myself they give me character, but the gray hair is another story.
I am absolutely freaked out beyond belief to turn 30 in a little over two years. Everyone who knows me knows how much I am dreading it, and most people ask me, "Why?"
The truth is, I'm not entirely sure.
I am just slightly vain, so I would appreciate it if my face stayed in its present state with no additional wrinkles or character lines. The hair thing is negligible since a little dye here, a little dye there, and gray hair is but a memory. Hell, I don't even know what color my hair should be right now since I've been dyeing it whatever color strikes my fancy for the last three years.
I think it's just that age, "30." It belies a certain maturity, like you should've accomplished something worthwhile or at least own a set of matching dishes. I currently possess none of those qualities.
I frequently have to put a $5.00 pack of cigarettes on my debit card b/c I never have any cash, I don't own any of the furniture in my apartment, and my car has been making the most god awful noise for about three months now, and I have yet to take it to the mechanic.
These are not portents for a person ready to turn 30.
I acknowledge that I'm more mature than I used to be, and I get along okay, but I just feel like there are things that I wanted to have in place before that milestone came along, and I haven't achieved them yet.
Of course, this is a perfect example of the ridiculously needless pressure I put on myself for things over which I have little control, so maybe I am ready for adulthood after all.
I would just like to say that even though the idea of Botox, the actual injection of poison into your face to take away wrinkles, makes my skin crawl, if I start to see a party of crows' feet on my face, I'll inject ebola in there to make it smooth again.
Vain? Who's vain?
Two and a half years 'til D-Day..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

30 isn't so bad. being 'older' has many more perks than draw backs. gray hair and laugh lines are badges of honor that should be worn with a sense of accomplishment for having servived our youth. by the time one reaches thirty only 12 years of our adult lives have past, leaving 35 more years before retirement (15-20 if you've always embrased the ideals of conservatism and invested from the begining, but that's not the point). but if you think 30 is bad wait until you have 40 looming over your head. although i am 10 years away from that little milestone it looms large but on a positive note i don't have gray hair or laugh lines, yet. when i get down about this i look to john kerry for inspiration. if john kerry showed us anything it is the miracle of botox, he went from looking like a wrinkled horse's ass to just being a horse's ass. ah, the miracles of modern medicine.

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

John Kerry did not have Botox. As I explained to you recently, he still looked rather craggy up close. Just because Bushie has aged so much in his four years doesn't mean that all competent politicians have to look elderly..Although, I can't imagine that Bush's wrinkles would've come from thinking all that much..