Monday, February 14, 2005

Ode to a commercial holiday

Today is Valentine's Day, which is really nothing more than an excuse for florists, candy makers and card companies to make people feel guilty if they don't buy all of the accoutrements that are advertised ad nauseum starting pretty shortly after Christmas.
That being said, they are some genuinely romantic and sweet things that can and should be enjoyed the entire year, not just on Feb. 14.
Generally, I'm not a big sap, but I have my really shmoopy moments, just like anyone.
Things that curl my toes are: someone taking care of me when I am sick, "The Way We Were,"(the movie) getting flowers for no reason at all, cooking for me, giving me something as small as a book I've mentioned liking "just because," compliments, the song "The Way You Look Tonight," seeing a couple that has been married for 40 years still obviously in love with each other, massages and bubble baths, a really intelligent conversation that also makes me laugh, jazz, and the ability to cuddle together well.
That is certainly not the whole list; I could do an entire entry just on songs and movies that reduce me to "a big girl's blouse," as a friend would say, but I don't want anyone to get nauseous reading today.
Feel free to add what makes all of you lose it, romantically.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

so does this mean i'm not obligated to purchase flowers today?

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Whatever you feel comfortable with...

Anonymous said...

Wheen you say things that curl your toes, do you mean you like these things? Because that is what it seems to me, but I thought only bad things curled toes. You are confusing!

JB

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

No, no, your toes can be curled in a good way..think about it. I hope Mama doesn't read this..

Anonymous said...

i get cramps in my feet when my toes get curled, it's not very comfortable. also, is it romantic to get a bottle of wine and play trivial pursuit? only if you win, right? haha

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Well, Trivial Pursuit doesn't have the same sexiness as bowling does..

Anonymous said...

Few things are as sexy as bowling.