Thursday, February 10, 2005

Hear me roar

Women rock; I'm not trying to make a grand, sweeping political statement or offend any of my male contemporaries. Men are okay, too, but there are just some areas where women absolutely blow them away, and I think that's awesome.
This struck me last night as I was having a couple of cocktails with a female friend. We were being goofy and unwinding, having not seen each other in a couple of weeks, and generally just having a good time.
At one point in the night, another girl was standing behind us, looking a little lost, and she said to me, "I can't believe he's late again." I kind of looked at her, and she told me that she was supposed to meet her guy friend for his birthday, but he was 20 minutes late. And that's all it took. She and my friend and I started a nearly two-hour conversation just from that, laughing and if you had looked at us, you would've thought that we'd known each other forever.
We even made plans to meet up at a later point, as we all live in the same semi-boring town.
Later, as my face finally began to stop hurting from laughing so hard and genuinely enjoying the two of them, I thought about how fortunate women are to have those connections with each other.
My best friend Amanda and I can and have had marathon phone conversations about nothing. But it's not that it's nothing. It's that kind of "nothing" that keeps me from climbing a clock tower and picking people off. Those valuable conversations let me unload about men, work, whatever I want, and I get to hear about what's going on with her.
We support each other through reassurances, positivity and really an almost blind loyalty to each other, meaning neither of us can do any wrong in each other's eyes, and sometimes you need that person who props you up no matter what and tells you that you rock.
So, yeah, you men can continue to make $1.00 for every $.75 I make, and you can impress everyone by writing your name in the snow, but I'll take my gender any day.
Plus, our skin is softer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure which is more disturbing... you climbing a clock tower to "pick people off" or that writing one's name in the snow made the short list of advantages men enjoy over women. as far as being late for a date, i remember one occassion not long ago when i arrived to pick up my date. not only was she not ready but i was sent away and told to return in an hour. i do however agree that women rock, when i returned to her apartment and we set out on our date i couldn't stop thinking of how the wait was worth every minute.
oh, and one more thing...i'll take the money over soft skin any day, i can always buy more lotion.

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

I love you, too, sweetie, and it doesn't really matter that your Spanish is terrible. I don't understand Spanish. I know it says something about friends..and maybe moldy cheese? I dunno..

Anonymous said...

como puede ser? !un gato no puede ser un abogado! explica como un gato tiene tiempo entrar un solon de corte si come y duerma toda la dia? ser un gato es mejor vida que hey. y mas, abogados estan mas como un tiburon.