Thursday, January 20, 2005

Inauguration of disgust

Okay; I told myself a long time ago that I would never allow my sheer vanity to override common sense, but either I'm more vain than I thought, or blogs are just the most amazing inventions for people flung far and wide to use for communication.
Either way, I've been listening to NPR all day, to the coverage of George W. Bush's second inauguration, and it's making me physically ill.
To backtrack a bit, I moved to Philadelphia, PA roughly five months ago to work for the campaign to elect one John F. Kerry.
Clearly, the day that "W" is sworn in to office for the second time might be a difficult day for me to accept without a modicum of whining and irritability, so I suppose this is to be expected.
As I listened to his speech, I was struck, once again, at how amazing it is that the leader of the free world can use such inspiring words like "liberty" and "freedom" to say so very little.
I'm reminded of a quote, from whom I can't remember, that I saw shortly after Sept. 11.
"It's not so much that George Bush rose to meet history, rather that history fell to meet him."
Indeed.

1 comment:

Dorothy Parker-lite said...

Thank you, Jeff. I really appreciate that.