Wednesday, January 26, 2005

I'm qualified for nothing...

I think I can finally admit that I'm having some form of a quarter-life crisis. I realize this is a trendy term that does sound quite silly on the face of it, but I fully understand what it means.
I am 27 years old, college-educated, had a typical middle-class upbringing, and yet I have virtually no clue as to what I want to do with the rest of my life.
After I graduated from college, I went to work at a newspaper for almost four years. The less said about that job, the better.
Following that soul-sucking endeavor, I went to work for John Kerry, who I believed in, thinking that being involved in something bigger than myself might point me toward some career path that sparked passion within me.
Well, three months later, I am employed with a temp agency and currently answering phones at a company that never gets any calls. I won't even get into how little I'm making. It's enough to survive, but that's about all.
I feel like my generation has so many opportunities at their fingertips that it's hard for us to settle into one thing.
My problem seems to suggest that. I am interested in so many different things, I'm almost scared to commit to one, because somehow I've convinced myself that there's only one path.
I realize that's not true, but I want so badly to have a job that makes me feel as though I'm doing some small shred of good in this world that is so disheartening at times, that I overanalyze every potential career path to death.
I feel sure that the answer will come to me, and in the mean time, I shall be content to drive myself crazy with possibilities.
So, I can settle in the knowledge that I will one day be any of the following: writer, college professor, elementary school teacher, magazine editor, politico, professional singer or circus freak.
Well, that makes it easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's me - the sister with the shampoo bottle. I hope you find your place very soon and can do some good in the world. I went through that too in my late 20's and am finally in a good position and working toward a place where I can do a bit more good, hopefully. It will come soon. I am proud of you.
Love, Julia B.
P.S. You might want to wipe elemtary teacher off the slate - can't see that one - maybe middle or high school though. Your sarcasm would be lost on a 7 year old.